MIXFIGHT.COM
NOG GEEN LID?
MELD JE HIER GRATIS AAN!
    vCash

Default Melvin Manhoef interview

Melvin Manhoef Interview

MELVIN MANHOEF intends to be back at his merciless best when he returns to mixed martial arts action at DREAM 10.

The Dutchman with an MMA-highest 90 per cent knockout ratio heads into the July 20 clash off an unusually subdued win over Stefan Leko, who limped out of their kickboxing match with a broken foot while getting the better of the exchanges.

Famed for his all-out attacking style, Manhoef was dissatisfied with both his performance and manner of victory in Amsterdam .

And the fans' favourite aims to improve immediately by adding Paulo Filho's name to his intimidating list of KO victims in Saitama, Japan.

"I'm not happy how the Leko fight ended," Manhoef told Fightnewz.net.

"When I come in the ring people always expect the bang and I have to apologise because I really wanted to give people a hell of a show.

"It went okay and next time I have to do better. My condition was not so good because my knee was very injured."

Former Cage Rage champion Manhoef is a combat sports rarity as he operates at top level in both K-1 rules kickboxing and MMA, systems which require differing skill sets and approaches.

The Hero's and DREAM tournament runner-up admits the switch can be problematic but says he will continue to alternate as he pursues another world title, having come up short in tournament finals against Yoshihiro Akiyama and Gegard Mousasi.

"I have two disciplines - I'm in the K-1 at the highest level of stand-up fighting and in MMA in DREAM at the highest level," said Manhoef, who fights at light heavyweight and heavyweight.

"It's very awkward to change every time but I like it and I cannot choose - so I do both."

Manhoef pledged to give Leko a rematch straight after his third round May victory at the Amsterdam ArenA and says his offer to the German - who he admitted in the ring afterwards was in front at the time of the finish - is still open.

"I think he deserves another chance and of course I offered him a rematch because I find it awkward to win that way," he said.

"He had a good distance and I really came to fight.

"When I was punching he was ducking and he was awkward, which was frustrating me a little bit and I couldn't get my distance.

"He was putting me out of my game. The first round went pretty okay, the second round he came more with low kicks but I hit him too with good body shots and uppercuts.

"I still wanted to put the pressure on because he was gassing out I think maybe."

Leko apart, the return Manhoef really wants is against Keijiro Maeda.

The rank Japanese outsider caused one of the biggest upsets in K-1 history when he knocked Manhoef out on the way to a surprise heavyweight title win in March, the lingering memories of which perhaps contributed to the Dutch hitter's somewhat tentative display against an in-form Leko.

Manhoef gives Maeda credit for his victory but is eager for a chance to set the record straight.
    "With Maeda they changed the opponent (Chalid Arrab) the day before so it was real f***** up," he explained.

"We trained on one opponent and then got another one, so it's really awkward.

"But it's no problem. He got his distance good - he wasn't so good but he did what he had to do to win the fight.

"But I want a rematch and we will see. I think I can win 10 fights out of 10 against him and still I lost."

Manhoef said he reverted to MMA habits at one point during the tournament contest with Maeda.

But he has no complaints about the stoppage, having struggled upright after being floored face-first by a short right hand.

"During the fight he ducked and I made a sprawl, so the MMA instinct is always in me," he added.

"The punch was perfect I think and I was a little bit too aggressive and coming really hard into it."

One of the most active fighters on the circuit as well as the most explosive, Manhoef make a quick-fire return to kickboxing after the Filho fight on August 29.

The 33-year-old takes on Denes Racz on the It's Showtime promotion at the Laszlo Papp Sportarena in Budapest, Hungary.
    Advertentie door Mixfight.nl
    Advertentie van Mixfight

Jochem Guest

Hmm, de meest spectaculaire vechter (manhoef natuurlijk) ter wereld tegen 1 van de most boring.(Filho)

1: Manhoef wins door KO 50%
    2: Filho wins door lay en pray 50%

Filho kan manhoef niet finishen denk ik, maar als hij hem naar de grond krijgt wordt het saai.

vCash

thanks voor het interview, manhoef is een baas