MIXFIGHT.COM
NOG GEEN LID?
MELD JE HIER GRATIS AAN!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Default Nevada State Athletic Commission bans TRT, urges fellow commissions to follow

In a landmark decision, the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) unanimously approved a motion to ban the practice of awarding fighters a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) in the state of Nevada on Thursday.

The ban is effectively immediately, stretches amongst the realms of boxing, kickboxing, and mixed martial arts, and not only includes future applicants for TRT, but also users who have received TUEs for TRT from the NSAC in the past.

Commission officials urged representatives from fellow athletic commissions to follow their lead and ban TRT exemptions in their corresponding states.

"I'm comfortable with the information we have before us, and I would welcome and encourage the ABC (Association of Boxing Commissions) to look at this issue for all commissions in all states across the country," NSAC Chairman Francisco Aguilar said. "I think it's important that there be a standard set, and I think we're not afraid of making that standard known, and then following the discussion after this point in time."

Minutes after the commission’s decision, the UFC announced that it too will ban TRT exemptions moving forward.

"I do believe that this is something that gives people an unfair advantage for these actual benefits," said Aguilar. "And I think that it's unfair for those fighters who are lucky enough to not have to go through the process. It's not fair to them when they have to meet a competitor who is, somehow, could be (using) an advantage."

NSAC chairman Skip Avansino initially proposed the motion following a discussion of the ramifications of TRT and possibly of a statewide ban. The motion was then seconded by NSAC commissioner Pat Ludvall.

"I know in granting TUEs for TRT in the past, it caused me a great burden because there is always a person there fighting on the other side who isn't asking for anything, who is going to be tested, who is going to be tested randomly, and is clean," said NSAC chairman Bill Brady. "So I think we have an obligation to the fighter who doesn't want an exemption and is clean; an obligation to them to make sure they're getting an honest and fair fight. So if this takes away that judgment that I have never liked, that I've been uncomfortable when I've been involved in it, then I think this is an appropriate motion and one that I support."

The commission's decision arrives just three months before Vitor Belfort, perhaps the posterchild for TRT, is scheduled to challenge Chris Weidman for the UFC middleweight title within the state of Nevada. Belfort's case has long been a source of controversy, as former NSAC executive director Keith Kizer infamously stated that the NSAC would likely reject Belator's application for a TUE due to his documented history of steroid abuse.

"In my medical opinion, and this is my opinion, I would assume that if someone has tested positive for performance enhancing drugs, or is known to have used performance enhancing drugs, I would assume that's the cause of their low testosterone," argued Dr. Timothy Trainor, a consulting physician for the NSAC, when asked by Lundvall if past PED use and the need for TRT is linked.

Trainor estimated that, at least in terms of the general population, less than one-percent of the population are affected by primary hypogonadism, which is the leading cause of fighter applications for TUEs. He added that past steroid abuse can replicate the results of primary hypogonadism, leading to the awarding of exemptions for synthetic testosterone for athletes who have "shut down their systems" with PED use.

Aside from Belfort, veteran mixed martial artists Dan Henderson, Chael Sonnen, Frank Mir, Forrest Griffin, Quinton Jackson, Antonio Silva and Joe Warren have also received TUEs for TRT from state athletic commissions in the past.

"A license to compete in combat sports is not a God-given right to anyone," Trainor said. "We all need to get a license to drive. Well, you can be denied a license to drive. So, in the same fashion, just because you live and breathe, does not, in my opinion, mean you're allowed to compete in this sport."

The UFC released the following statement Thursday afternoon regarding the NSAC's decision.

"The Ultimate Fighting Championship fully supports the decision made today by the Nevada State Athletic Commission regarding the immediate termination of therapeutic use exemptions (TUE) for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT)," said UFC President Dana White. "We believe our athletes should compete based on their natural abilities and on an even playing field. We also intend to honor this ruling in international markets where, due to a lack of governing bodies, the UFC oversees regulatory efforts for our live events. We encourage all athletic commissions to adopt this ruling."
    Advertentie door Mixfight.nl
    Advertentie van Mixfight

vCash

Met dank aan forum member Harrie Nak die het als eerst in een andere thread bekend maakte.
    ik vond dit nieuws wel een eigen thread waard.

vCash

Default Dana says UFC will no longer allow TRT, 'couldn't wait for that garbage to go away'

Minutes after the Nevada State Athletic Commission unanimously approved a motion to ban the practice of awarding fighters a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) in the state, the Ultimate Fighting Championship followed suit.

UFC president Dana White told MMAFighting.com on Thursday that the UFC will no longer allow fighters to use TRT when fighting on cards in which the UFC serves as the governing body. That typically happens when the UFC holds events overseas in countries that do not have athletic commissions in place.

"We follow Nevada," White said.

White, who had been vocal recently about the dangers of TRT, expressed extreme satisfaction that the NSAC finally banned the controversial use of TRT.

"[I'm] pumped!" White wrote via text message. "Couldn't wait for that garbage to go away."

Last year, White announced that the promotion began randomly testing TRT users on its own prior to fights to ensure that the fighters were not abusing the therapy.

It remains to be seen whether the promotion will also refuse to allow fighters from using TRT in states, provinces or countries with athletic commissions who have not banned it.

Nevada's ban on TRT is effectively immediately, disallowing any past, present or future users from applying for a TUE.

Update: The UFC issued a press release on Thursday's news:

"The Ultimate Fighting Championship fully supports the decision made today by the Nevada State Athletic Commission regarding the immediate termination of therapeutic use exemptions (TUE) for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT)," White stated in the release. "We believe our athletes should compete based on their natural abilities and on an even playing field. We also intend to honor this ruling in international markets where, due to a lack of governing bodies, the UFC oversees regulatory efforts for our live events. We encourage all athletic commissions to adopt this ruling."

vCash

Default Chris Weidman hails Nevada TRT ban as 'amazing day for the sport

You can count Chris Weidman among those who are excited about the news that the Nevada State Athletic Commission has banned therapeutic use exemptions for testosterone replacement therapy effective immediately.

"This is an amazing day for the sport," Weidman told MMAFighting.com. "This is something that I've wanted to see happen for quite some time. TRT was and has always been cheating, and I'm glad Nevada finally recognized that, especially since I'm about to fight there against a known TRT user. Hopefully, every other athletic commission follows because this was long overdue.

"If you need TRT to fight, you shouldn't fight. Period."

Weidman is scheduled to fight Vitor Belfort, who has been on TRT for at least his last three fights (all wins), at UFC 173 on May 24 in Las Vegas.

Belfort recently said he would like to see Weidman undergo extra drug testing prior to their middleweight title fight, and Weidman said he had no problem with that.

"I won't do it just because Vitor wants me to get tested. I'll do it if the commission or the UFC asks me to. Absolutely.

"Come to my house, come to my gym. Whatever is good for the sport, I'll do."

vCash

Jammer dat dit niet na 24 Mei pas van toepassing is.

vCash

Heel, heel mooi nieuws!

vCash

hmm wat voor vitor gaan we nu zien?
    Ali: I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Naj85 View Post
    God wil blijkbaar niet dat er in de UFC nog TRT wordt gebruikt dus ik denk dat hij het prima vindt, en nu direct extra Testo krijgt ingestraald van boven. Komt goed.

vCash

Wie er in het verleden misbruik van heeft gemaakt zal het waarschijnlijk blijven doen. Voortaan gewoon slim zijn met cyclen.

vCash

hopelijk eentje met een normaal kapsel

vCash

Geen! ik zie net op instagram dat vitor zijn gevecht tegen weidman heeft afgezegd!!
    Zou god hem dat hebben ingefluisterd????
    Machida neemt het van hem over..

vCash

ufc#UFC173 shake up! Belfort steps down from his title shot and @lyotomachidafw steps in to face @chrisweidmanufc at UFC 173 in Vegas!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pahlavan View Post
    Met dank aan forum member Harrie Nak die het als eerst in een andere thread bekend maakte.
    ik vond dit nieuws wel een eigen thread waard.

vCash

Leuk voor Machida, maar ik kijk nu toch minder uit naar dit titelgevecht.

vCash

Rampage heeft volgens mij wel eens gezegd dat TRT zo'n enorm verschil maakte dat hij het jammer vond dat hij er niet eerder om gevraagd heeft (heeft geloof ik alleen zijn laatste 2 UFC gevechten op TRT gevochten). Als een vechter dat zelf eerlijk toegeeft lijkt het mij dat de NSAC en de UFC een goede beslissing genomen hebben.

Dit zal waarschijnlijk wel einde carriere zijn voor bv Henderson en Belfort (of nog een paar wedstrijden op een veel lager niveau cashen maar niet meedoen om de prijzen). Bigfoot zal wel melk spuiten door de octagon... Dit gaat betekenen dat een carriere na de 35 een stuk lastiger wordt.

vCash

Bigfoot kan zijn eigen melklijn beginnen hehe.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Nelisje View Post
    Dit zal waarschijnlijk wel einde carriere zijn voor bv Henderson en Belfort (of nog een paar wedstrijden op een veel lager niveau cashen maar niet meedoen om de prijzen). Bigfoot zal wel melk spuiten door de octagon... Dit gaat betekenen dat een carriere na de 35 een stuk lastiger wordt.
    Naja, zit je op TRT, dan spuit je dus legaal extra testosteron, maar moet je nog steeds aan de norm voldoen.
    Je kunt ook best aan de (6:1)norm voldoen als je illegaal T gebruikt.

Maar voor die gasten word het wel erg ongeloofwaardig als ze dadelijk met een "normaal" T/E ratio rondlopen...terwijl ze daar eerst dus TRT voor nodig hadden.
    Last edited by YoMarK; 28-02-2014 at 13:16.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by YoMarK View Post
    Naja, zit je op TRT, dan spuit je dus legaal extra testosteron, maar moet je nog steeds aan de norm voldoen.
    Je kunt ook best aan de norm voldoen als je illegaal T gebruikt.
    Dat klopt maar het is raar als een vechter die voorheen trt gebruikte nu dat trt is verboden alsnog dezelfde t/e ratio behoudt. Hun t/e ratio moet natuurlijk dalen en dat weet de commission ook lijkt mij. Natuurlijk is er nog steeds van alles mogelijk door op tijd te cyclen etc. maar daarom vind ik dat ze ook gewoon door moeten gaan met random testing.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Nelisje View Post
    Rampage heeft volgens mij wel eens gezegd dat TRT zo'n enorm verschil maakte dat hij het jammer vond dat hij er niet eerder om gevraagd heeft (heeft geloof ik alleen zijn laatste 2 UFC gevechten op TRT gevochten). Als een vechter dat zelf eerlijk toegeeft lijkt het mij dat de NSAC en de UFC een goede beslissing genomen hebben.

Hoezo einde carriere? Die gaan gewoon lekker buiten Vegas vechten zolang het nog kan, en ze voor Dana White nog geld opleveren.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Harrie Nak View Post
    Hoezo einde carriere? Die gaan gewoon lekker buiten Vegas vechten zolang het nog kan, en ze voor Dana White nog geld opleveren.
    De UFC en andere commissies volgen die van Nevada altijd dus over een paar maanden is het daar ook afgelopen met TRT.

vCash

Sommige hier hebben duidelijk het artikel niet gelezen. De UFC volgt deze beslissing en doet TRT in de ban. Ook buiten Vegas dus.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Harrie Nak View Post
    Haha heb jij t artikel wel gelezen?

vCash

Volgens mij hebben jullie moeite met lezen. Vooralsnog (!) is TRT alleen gebanned in Nevada, Brazilie, en door de UFC bij events waar er geen athletic commission als overkoepelend orgaan optreedt.

vCash

Default Brazilian Commission follows Nevada in TRT ban.

One day after Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) decided to ban the therapeutic use of testosterone (TRT) in MMA, Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission (CABMMA) follows the decision.

CABMMA’s medical director Dr. Marcio Tannure, who initially planned to debate the subject before making a final decision, announced on Sportv News that they will no longer grant exemptions for TRT in Brazil.

"We discussed this subject for a long time here at CABMMA," he said, "and, as we use Nevada’s athletic commission as a model, we decided to make the same decision here in Brazil and no longer grant TRT exemptions for any fighter."

CABMMA’s decision won’t be applied to UFC’s next card in Brazil, on March 23.

Dan Henderson, who takes on Mauricio Rua in the main event, will be granted a license to take TRT for the five-round fight, but it will be the last one in Brazil. Scheduled to fight Wanderlei Silva on May 31 in Brazil, Chael Sonnen won’t receive a TRT exemption.

vCash

Oke dat is wel nice, Hendo nog een keer knallen met Shogun(denk dat hij daarna niets meer in te brengen heeft ook al stopt hij niet met vechten) en mischien dat Wanderlei's kansen tegen Sonnen nu toenemen.