PDA

View Full Version : Mighty Mo Interview

Nicky
28-08-2004, 09:56
After K-1 launched a large scale recruiting campaign in an effort to lure some of professional boxing’s big guns its way, the promotion scored big by signing a small handful of marquee names including former world champions Francois Botha and Ray Mercer.....

http://www.k-1usa.net/images/news/large/082304.jpg

Then there was the rather discreet and unannounced acquisition of a 33-year-old Samoan born puncher who had stopped 16 of the 20 adversaries over whom he had claimed victory in professional boxing’s squared circle. “Mighty Mo� Siligia was indeed tailor made for The New Fighting Sport� that boasts an 80 percent knockout rate but, since stepping through the doors of San Bernardino, California martial arts training ground, The Shark Tank, near the end of 2003, he has developed his raw potential into professional capability.

In February, with only four months of formal preparation under his belt, Siligia was called over to the Eastern part of the world for a bout with Hiraku Hori during K-1’s premiere event on the Japanese island of Okinawa. Some saw the invitation as a grand opportunity, one for which countless professional fighters have waited throughout their entire careers. Others called it a risk, pointing to Siligia’s clear-cut lack of experience in defending against unfamiliar weapons.

The K-1 newcomer decisively answered questions and skepticism offered as he hammered out a fourth round knockout of Hori in front of nearly 6,000 fans at The Okinawa Convention Center.

Three weeks ago, Siligia was crowned a tournament champion after preying upon three consecutive opponents during the “Battle at Bellagio III� elimination contest. His credibility in the fight world took its biggest jump when he put down 6 foot 4 inch, 255 pound Brecht Walis, a Dutch trained world class kickboxer, during the championship round of action.

Siligia’s sudden success has transformed his standing in the sport from that of a novice into somewhat of a wildcard with Grand Prix title hopes as the 2004 K-1 season enters its second half. On September 25th, he will return to Japan and attempt to triumph in a place filled with fighting athletes of the highest caliber.

Q: Nicknames are a common thing for fighters to have in combat sports. But, you like to be referred to only by your nickname. How did the name “Mighty Mo� become yours?

A: Well it’s been with me for a while, but it really stuck with me after (doing) construction. I was working in Utah. It was like a two-story building up in the resorts where I was working. It started crumbling down, but it didn’t completely crumble down. Everything just sort of fell down and it went over my head. I sort of crawled my way out of it and came out with a busted eye. Everybody was just amazed by it. You know, not too many people walk out of a building after it crushes down on them. It’s just something that I had, even when I played football. Because when I played football, I was a defensive lineman. I was bench pressing 575 (pounds), squatting 700 (pounds). I was very strong.

Q: What kind of a career did you have in football?

A: I played for San Bernardino Valley College. I ended up making the top 10 recruits coming out of a J.C. (Junior College) out of California. Then, I was Fresno State’s number one recruit. At the last minute, I found out I couldn’t go division one so I ended up going to Alabama – a division two school out there.

Q: How did you make the transition from football player to fighter?

A: Well, I was a grappler in high school. I’m a very good grappler and I was always an athlete. I played basketball too and I loved it. It was one of my favorite sports ever since I was eight years old. I’ve got good feet and good mobility. Wrestling gave me good balance. I took first place at the LA Games in collegiate wrestling.

As far as football, it was just a matter of being an athlete. I played the sports that every American athlete plays and always adjusted to new sports because I always wanted to perform. While I was playing football, I hit the boxing gym every day. I felt that if I didn’t make it in football, I was going to make it in boxing.

Q: How would you compare the experience you’ve had competing in football to the experience you’ve had competing in boxing and martial arts fighting?

A: I had a (football) coach named Bill Dutton – a real, old guy. He was a hell of a coach. He gave me some tips that sharpened my skill up as a fighter. He showed me how to use peripheral vision and reaction. Do you understand where I’m going with that?

Q: I think so. Are you talking about developing instinct?

A: Yea, kind of like instinct. But, you’re seein’ a picture and you’re reactin’ to it. Me being a defensive lineman, I took the double team all the time so I’m watchin’ two guys all the time and I have to react to those two same guys at the same time or I’m gonna get bulldozed by these guys. (Dutton) said I’m one of the best defensive linemen he’s ever had still because I’m sort of hard-headed.

Q: So, you were more or less conditioned for fighting during your football days?

A: Yea, pretty much. It’s just reacting – seeing everything coming your way. You see someone throwing a right hand and you react to it. As defensive linemen, we were taught to read. I can read what my opponent is about to throw. That’s why I reacted so fast to them.

Q: Going back to the “Battle at Bellagio III� tournament, you caught a headbutt from your championship round opponent, Brecht Walis. How did the headbutt affect you?

A: You know to keep it real, man, I felt it. It split my head open. It was a plain, old accident. At the time of the fight, I guess he’d seen the blood on my face and he started to put the pressure on me by moving forward. Me as a fighter, that’s my style. I don’t like to chase a fight. I like a fighter to just stay in front of me and try to duke it out with me. So, he fell into my game plan, I think, because he stood right there in front of me and decided to exchange blows with me.

Q: You’re headed for Japan next month for the next round of competition in K-1. Who amongst K-1’s top fighters would you like to fight if you had your choice?

A: If I had my choice? To me, that’s sort of a hard question because eventually you’re gonna face everyone in there.

Q: Who are some of the guys, though, that you’ve wanted to fight since you got started in this sport?

A: I would say anybody, man. I can’t choose nobody. Whoever they put me in there with, I just hope it’s a quick knockout.

Q: Between the April 30th and August 7th K-1 events in Las Vegas, you demonstrated to everyone that you’ve got a lot of power. Where do you feel you rank amongst the sport’s superheavyweight fighters in terms of power level?

A: I think I got the most power in the game right now. I don’t think anybody can match my power. I’ve got weight and strength behind it – and technique.

Q: Aside from what we’ve seen in the ring, what do you want fans to know about you?

A: Oh, man. I’m a good person at heart. I like to have fun and enjoy life. I like to put on a show for everybody and I want to earn my respect in this game.

Justinian
28-08-2004, 11:22
Thx Nicky, leuk interview :thumbs:

Wheelie
28-08-2004, 13:05
Bedankt nicky

Virus
28-08-2004, 15:05
:thumbs: ...

Op een regenachtige zaterdagmiddag zijn dit soort posts relax... :wink: